Buckley Hold

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) The Buckley Amendment 

The items listed below are designates as directory information and may be released for any purpose at the discretion of the university.

Under the provisions of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as Amended, currently enrolled students have the right to withhold disclosure of all the categories of directory information listed below. 

Students should carefully consider the consequences of any decision to withhold directory information. Should a student decide to inform the university not to release directory information, any future request for such information from non-institutional persons or organizations will be refused. Regardless of whether you or a third party contacts this office, we cannot even acknowledge you are/were a student at LSU. In addition, your name will not appear in the commencement program or any commencement publicity.

The university will honor your request to withhold directory information, but cannot assume responsibility to contact you for subsequent permission to release the information. Regardless of the effect upon you, the university assumes no liability for honoring your instructions that such information be withheld.

  • Name
  • Local Address
  • Telephone Number
  • Home Address
  • Major Field of Study
  • Year Classification
  • Dates of Attendance
  • Degrees, Awards, and Honors Received
  • Participation in officially recognized actives and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended

Graduation candidates who have placed a hold on their records should be aware that their name will be withheld from any news releases (e.g., graduation lists, dean’s lists, university honors lists) as well as publication in the commencement program. Be aware that names and home mailing addresses will not be given to the commencement ceremony photographer. 

If you wish to obtain transcripts online/by mail, diplomas online/by mail, or for this office to be able to verify your degree for future employers, then you must remove your Buckley Hold at the Office of the University Registrar in person.

If you would like to reconsider the decision you have made, please submit a written request to the Office of the University Registrar to remove the hold.