Undergraduate Advising

If I want to declare COMD as my major, where do I go, and are there any requirements to do this?

Students should go to the College of Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS) located in Hodges Hall
HSS counselors are located in 119 Hodges Hall

HSS Phone Number: 225-578-3141

Students must have a 2.5 GPA

Students must have earned 24 credit hours

Who is the Undergraduate Advisor for COMD

The undergraduate advisor and liaison to HSS is

Monica Holman


Where is COMD located?

COMD is located in the basement of Hatcher Hall.  The Front Office is in Room 68. The Clinic Office is in Room 68. The Mailroom is in Room 65.

Front Office Contact: Bernie Abadie 225-578-2545

Clinic Office Contact: Rhonda Aucoin 225-578-5094

When should I see my advisor?

Students should see the undergraduate advisor when they first enter the major (after visiting HSS) AND every semester before registration.

Why do I need to see the Undergraduate Advisor?

The advisor verifies that students are taking the correct prerequisites for junior and senior classes.

The advisor provides students assistance if they are unable to get into one of the COMD classes. 

What do I need to bring when I see my advisor?

Students should bring their most current degree audit to their advisor meeting.

Students should bring any questions about the COMD majors, Minors, Honors Theses, and Clinic to their advisor meeting.

How do I know who my COMD advisor is?

The COMD advisor for all undergraduates is Monica Holman.

How do I schedule an appointment to see my advisor?

COMD undergraduate advising is provided through a virtual platform. You may choose one of the following ways to be advised by Monica Holman.

  • Email her at: mholman@lsu.edu
  • Download the Microsoft Teams app and sign in with your LSU email information. You can then be advised through direct messaging or scheduling a voice or video call with her at mholman.

You will need to send screenshots or photos of your degree audit to Monica Holman to be properly advised.

How do I find my most current degree audit?

Go to your myLSU account --> student services --> degree audit --> view current degree audit --> click "expand all requirements" (in purple) --> take pictures or screenshots of the entire thing --> send to Monica Holman via email or message on Microsoft Teams

What are the 2 introductory classes in the major?

COMD 2081 – Introduction to Communication Disorders

COMD 2050 – Introduction to Language

NOTE: These 2 classes are mandatory!

These should be taken Freshman or Sophomore year.

What are the requirements for getting into the COMD 4000 Level Classes?

60 credit hours MUST be obtained prior to registering for 4000 Level Classes

Biological sequence – Biol. 1001 and 1002

Biology 2160 – Human Physiology

COMD 2081 – Introduction to Communication Disorders

COMD 2050 – Introduction to Language 

What is the COMD BLOCK?

The COMD Block is a sequence of concentrated COMD classes that must be taken at the undergraduate level to prepare a student for graduate school.

Can I take the BLOCK courses any semester I want to?

NO, there is a sequence you must follow; certain courses precede others.

Each fall there are set classes offered and every spring there are set classes offered.

What are the titles of the COMD courses?

bold = mandatory; others are electives

COMD 3150 – Phonetics

COMD 4381 – Basic Articulation Disorders

COMD 4250 – Anatomy & Physiology of Speech & Hearing

COMD 4153 – Acoustics of Speech & Hearing

COMD 4190 – Introduction to Audiology - this course is only taught in the spring semester

COMD 4380 – Speech and Language Development - this course is only taught in the fall semester

COMD 4382 – Basic Language Disorders - this course is only taught in the spring semester

COMD 4383 – Basic Fluency Disorders

Senior Electives

COMD 4590 – Auditory Rehabilitation in Children - this course is only taught in the fall semester

COMD 4681 – Introduction to Clinical Practicum

COMD 4683,4,5 – Clinical Practical

COMD 4751 – Special Topics in Communication Disorders (Intro to Hearing Sciences)

COMD 4751 – Special Topics in Communication Disorders (Adult Neurogenic Disorders)

What happens if I split up the BLOCK classes and don’t take the entire list of courses in the fall or spring?

Students who do not complete the COMD block courses will likely need an extra year to complete their degree.

How do I request practica?

Usually the opportunity for being assigned a clinic is announced by the instructors teaching the junior-level courses.

Students will either be given a special form to request a clinic OR come by the clinic and ask for a form.

Students will be given a deadline for signing up and should return the form to the Coordinator of Clinical Services, Mr. Lalande

How do I know if I was assigned a clinic?

Students assigned to a clinic are notified by email.