Associate Professor of Spanish
Director, LSU Program in Comparative Literature
Ph.D., Yale University, 2008
Office: 320 Hodges Hall
Areas of Interest
Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Spanish Peninsular Literature and Culture; Interdisciplinary Approaches to Modern European Literature and Culture; Comparative Literature; Contemporary Women Writers; Women and Gender Studies; Transatlantic Studies; Art History
CPLT 7160 Atlantic, Hemispheric, and Oceanic Studies, CPLT 7140 Interdisciplinary Topics in Comparative Literature, CPLT 7130 Special Topics in Comparative Literature, CPLT 7120 Topics in the Theory of Criticism, SPAN 7994 Cultural Studies in Hispanic Literature, SPAN 7990 Research Methods in Hispanic Criticism, SPAN 7970 Comparative Studies in Hispanic Literature, SPAN 7961 Special Topics in Modern Peninsular Literature SPAN 4500 Special Topics in Transatlantic Studies, SPAN 4100 Women Writers in the Hispanic World, SPAN 4034 Special Topics - 18th- and 19th-Century Literature, SPAN 4063 Special Topics – Spanish Literature from 1898 to 1936
Recent and Notable Publications
Striking Their Modern Pose: Fashion, Gender, and Modernity in Galdós, Pardo Bazán, and Picón. West Lafayette: Purdue University Press, 2015.
- "The Meaning of Meals in Galdós’ El amigo Manso." The Gastronomic Arts in Spain: Food and Etiquette. Eds. Federick de Armas & James Mandrell. Toronto: Toronto University Press, 2022. 225-246.
- "Rupturas y contradicciones: Concha Espina y la visión de la mujer en Dulce Nombre (1921)." Hispanófila 193 (Fall 2021): 99-112.
- "Indianos and Empire in Emilia Pardo Bazán's ‘El voto’ and ‘Barbastro’." Siglo Diecinueve. Literatura Hispánica 26 (2020): 133-156.
- "Before 1898: Architecture and Nation in Emilia Pardo Bazán's El tesoro de Gastón." Revista de Estudios Hispánicos 52.1 (2018): 223-243.
- "The Indiano’s Marriage and the Crisis of Imperial Modernity in Galdós’ El amigo Manso." Siglo Diecinueve. Literatura Hispánica 22 (2016): 91-108.
- "From Decline to Regeneration: Gender Relations and Nation in Sofía Casanova’s La madeja." Bulletin of Hispanic Studies 91.7 (2014): 713-728.
- "War and Nation in Sofía Casanova’s Princesa rusa." New Readings in Latin American and Spanish Literary and Cultural Studies. Ed. Laura M. Martins. Cambridge, England: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014. 134-150.
- "The Working Woman’s Body in Emilia Pardo Bazán's La Tribuna." El naturalismo en España. Aproximaciones desde una perspectiva actual. Ed. Efraín E. Garza. Miami: Alexandria Library, 2013. 91-122.
- “Fashion and Femininity in Emilia Pardo Bazán's Insolación.” Hispanic Review 80.1 (Winter 2012): 63-84.
- “What is a Man of Fashion? Manuel Pez and the Image of the Dandy in Galdós’s La de Bringas.” Anales Galdosianos 44/45 (2009/2010): 57-70.
Awards & Honors
- LSU Department of World Languages, Literatures & Cultures Award for Outstanding Teaching (2021)
- LSU Women’s, Gender & Sexualities Award for Outstanding Affiliate Faculty Contribution to Women’s, Gender & Sexualities Program (2020)
- Roger Hadfield Ogden Honors College Tiger Athletic Foundation Undergraduate Teaching Award (2019) Awarded for excellence in teaching honors seminars
- Benjamin Meaker Visiting Professorship, Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Bristol, United Kingdom (2018-2019)
- Roger Hadfield Ogden Honors College Robert L. “Doc” Amborski Faculty Teaching and Service Award (2018) Awarded for excellence in teaching honors seminars and service to LSU Ogden Honors College
- Spain’s Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sports Hispanex Research Grant (2014)
- LSU College of Humanities and Social Sciences Manship Summer Research Fellowship (2013)
- LSU Tiger Athletic Foundation Undergraduate Teaching Award (2012) Awarded for excellence in teaching undergraduate courses
- ATLAS Board of Regents Award to Louisiana Artists and Scholars (2011-2012)
- LSU College of Humanities and Social Sciences Summer Research Grant (2011, 2014)
- Program for Cultural Cooperation between Spain’s Ministry of Culture and United States’ Universities Research Grant (2009)
- Yale College Prize Teaching Fellowship (2004, 2006) Awarded twice for excellence in teaching undergraduate courses; one of twelve recipients university wide
- Yale University Edward H. Butler Dissertation Fellowship (2004-2005)
- Yale University John Perry Miller Fund Grant (2005)
- Yale University Beinecke Research Fellowship (2004)
- Yale University John F. Enders Research Grant (2003, 2004)
- Yale University Latin American and Iberian Studies Travel Grant (2003)
"The Presence of the Past in Sofía Casanova's Political Thoughts in Las catacumbas de Rusia roja (1933)" / Teraźniejszość przeszłości w mysli politycznej Sofii Casanovy na podstawie "Las catacumbas de Rusia roja" (1933) (Invited Talk) at the International Conference: “Sofía Casanova: Writer and Personality of Spanish and Polish Intellectual Life. Texts—Testimonies—Interpretations” organized by Department of Philological Research and College of Liberal Arts, University of Warsaw & University of Białystok & Museum of Lutosławski Manor in Drozdowo, Białystok, Poland (June 13-14, 2022)
- "Transatlantic Connections: The Portaits of Indianos in Emilia Pardo Bazán's Short Fiction (1898-1905)," (Invited Lecture) delivered at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana (April 10, 2019)
- “Heroes, Outcasts, and Scapegoats: Nation and Belonging in Spanish Women’s Narrative Between the Wars,” (Public Lecture) delivered at the Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Bristol, United Kingdom (November 22, 2018)
- “From Poland with Love: Mapping the Spanish-Russo Relations in Sofía Casanova’s Interwar Journalism and Fiction,” (Departmental Lecture) delivered at the School of Modern Languages, University of Bristol, United Kingdom (November 21, 2018)
- Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CISC), Madrid, Spain
Invited Participant in Grupo de Investigación Cultura, Edición y Literatura en el Ámbito
Hispánico, Editores y Editoriales Iberoamericanos (siglos XIX-XXI) EDI-RED. Project Director:
Professor Pura Fernández (2016-present)