F-1 DSO Letter Request Instructions
These following instructions are for F-1 students who have on-campus jobs that are directly paid by LSU Payroll (such as a department, the library, UREC, etc.)
- For J-1 students, please read the “J-1 Visa Status” information on Social Security Information webpage and complete the J-1 Program Sponsor Letter Request online.
- For F-1 Students with a Vendor job: Those who have found on-campus jobs that are paid by official vendors such as Barnes and Noble (The LSU Bookstore), Subway in Foster Hall, etc. should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the Vendor Work Permit and Letter process.
Steps for F-1 students to request a Combination DSO Letter for Social Security
- You must first find and be hired for a campus job.
- Share the Template Letter for Combined Employment Authorization (LSU Hiring Department and IS DSO) with your LSU on-campus employer. The LSU department or office that is hiring you must complete the top portion of the letter, which must be printed on LSU letterhead with an original signature.
- Complete the DSO Letter Request form online and bring your original Combination DSO Letter (printed on your LSU hiring department/office letterhead, signed and dated appropriately) to International Services in 101 Hatcher Hall.
- Our office will review your request and process it in approximately 5-10 business days. You will receive an email if we have any questions or when the completed documents are ready for pickup.
- Follow the rest of the information on the LSU International Services Social Security Information page under “Documents Required” for “F-1 Visa Status” to apply for your Social Security number.