Regaining J-1 Status | LSU International Services

Regaining J-1 Status

Violation of Status

Violation of J-1 visa regulations results in the loss of legal status in the U.S. If you lose your J-1 student status you are not eligible for the following:

  • To work on campus
  • To apply for or pursue curricular or optional practical training
  • To apply for or pursue off-campus work permission, including OPT
  • To apply for a change of visa status 

If you are in violation of status, contact an International Student Advisor immediately to review your situation and to make recommendations on the best way to regain valid status.

Options for Regaining Status

Option 1: Correcting the Record

Minor infractions can be corrected by an IS advisor without a formal application, provided no more than 120 days have elapsed since the event that created the infraction.

The record can be corrected if the J-1 visa holder . . .

  • Has had 120 days or less elapse since the event that created the infraction 
  • Is pursuing or intending to pursue the original program objective
  • Has not willfully failed to maintain insurance coverage during the period which is being corrected
  • Has not been in substantive violation of the regulations
  • (Students only) Has maintained a full course of study 

Option 2: Reinstatement

Reinstatement requires an application and approval from the U.S. Department of State. Reinstatement may be the best avenue if the following apply to you: 

  • You have been out of valid program status for more than 120 days after the end date on your current form DS 2019, but less than 270 days.
  • (Students only) You have not maintained a full course of study and did not consult with IS and an academic advisor before dropping below a full courseload.

If you have fallen out of J-1 status and are interested in pursuing reinstatement, please set up an appointment with an advisor. IS has to initiate an application for reinstatement with the Department of State through SEVIS first.

Required Documentation to Apply for Reinstatement

  1. Processing fee: a $246 money order or cashier’s check made out to the U.S. Department of State. No cash, credit cards, or temporary checks are accepted.
  2. Financial documentation showing the availability of funds to cover your estimated expenses for at least one academic year. Documentation can be a personal bank statement, an Affidavit of Support, a copy of an assistantship/scholarship letter, or a combination of all three.
  3. All DS-2019 forms.
  4. Your letter explaining that you are pursuing or intending to pursue the original program for which you were admitted to the U.S. The letter should explain either that the circumstances that led to your violation were out of your control, due to administrative delay, or due to excusable neglect on your part or that of International Services.
  5. Fee receipt for payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee.

Processing Time for Reinstatement

The State Department will act within 45 days from the date on which they received the request and supporting documentation.

Results of Reinstatement Application

  • Approved: If your application for reinstatement is approved, International Services will receive an Approval Notice via email. Once approved, you will be able to access all J-1 benefits for which you apply and are eligible.
  • Denied: An email will be sent to International Services stating the denial. Your current visa will be automatically cancelled, and you will be permanently limited to applying for visas in your home country. You will not be able to continue your studies at LSU, and you will be required to leave the U.S. within a given time designated in the notice of denial. An official record of your status violation will be recorded with the Department of State.