Instrument and operator time at the SIF is available on a cost basis to both the academic research community and to industry. For scheduling instrument time or training sessions, please contact the appropriate Instrument Specialist or the SIF Manager.
Fiscal Year 2023 Instrument Rate Structure Effective July 1, 2022
||Academic Rate (4)||Industrial Rate (4) (6)|
|Daytime (1,2)||Evening / Weekends (1,2)|
|JEOL 1400 (120kV) TEM||$40/hr||$30/hr||$125/hr|
|JEOL 1400 (120kV) Cryo-TEM||$50/hr||$43.75/hr||$145/hr|
|JEOL 6610LV SEM||$35/hr||$26.50/hr||$120/hr|
|JEOL 8230 Electron Microprobe (5)||$40/hr||$30/hr||$125/hr|
|FEI Quanta 3D FEG Ga FIB/SEM(5)||$45/hr (Ga+ milling additional charge)||$33.50/hr (Ga+ milling additional charge)||$125/hr w/o Ga+|
|ThermoFisher Helio G4 Xe PFIB/SEM (5)||$65/hr (Xe+ milling additional charge)||$48.50/hr (Xe+ milling additional charge)||$140/hr w/o Xe+|
|Scienta Omicron XPS (5)||$40/hr||$30/hr||$125/hr|
PANalytical XRD: RTS or Flat Stage (9)
|$25/sample or $50/hr||$18.50/sample or $37.50/hr||$80/sample|
|PANalytical XRD: Chi Phi 5 axis cradle Stage (5)||$35/hr||$26.50/hr||$100/hr|
|PANalytical XRD: Non-Ambient Temperature Stage (5)||$45/hr||$33.50/hr||$120/hr|
|PANalytical XRF||$15/sample or $35/hr||$11.50/sample or $26.50/hr||$80/sample|
|Renishaw Raman Spectroscopy||$35/hr||$26.50/hr||$120/hr|
|Leica SP8 Confocal Microscope (5)
Olympus SpinSR10 Spinning Disk Confocal (5)
Zeiss Light Sheet 7 (5)
|Leica DM6B Microscope,
Leica Thunder Model Organism Stereomicroscope
|Quantum Design SQUID Magnetometer||$1.50/hr||$75/hr|
|Liquid He||Current LSU He recovery price or market price (if He ordered)||Current market price|
|Professional Assistance charges for: (3)||Internal rate (8)||External rate (8)|
|1) Instrument Training||$25/hr (Instrument usage charged separately)||$40/hr (Instrument usage charged separately)|
|2) Sample preparation||$25/hr (Instrument usage charged separately)||$40/hr (Instrument usage charged separately)|
|3) Instrument setup, operation or data collection (including educational courses)||$25/hr (Instrument usage charged separately);
$15/sample for Rotation Spinner XRD and XRF
|$40/hr (Instrument usage charged separately);
$25/sample for Rotation Spinner XRD and XRF
|4) Data processing or reporting||$25/hr (Instrument usage charged separately)||$40/hr (Instrument usage charged separately)|
(consumables not included in the list will be charged at the actual cost)
|$8 per Sectioned LM Slide
$10 per EM/LM chemicals
$100 per IMMUNO Labeling
$8 per 2min metal Sputter coat
$2 per nanometer Carbon coat
$3 per Copper grid
$20 per CryoEM prep. for LN2 and LC2H6
$15/hr for FIB Ga+ or Xe+ source usage
$15/ea for glass beads or pressed pellets
|$20 per Sectioned LM Slide
$20 per EM/LM chemicals
$150 per EMMUNO labeling
$15 per Pt. Sputter coat (2 min.)
$3 per nanometer Carbon coat
$10 per Copper grid
$40 per CryoEM prep.
FIB Ga+ or Xe+ source usage $35/hr
$20/ea for beads or pressed pellets
- Facility "Daytime" rate hours are from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. & "Evening" rate hours are 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. Evening rate is only available to independent users who are qualified to access to SIF during the Evening and Weekends periods. Eligibility requirements for access to use instrumentation during the Evening and Weekend periods is provided on the SIF website in the Facility Policies section.
- Instrumentation reservations are made through the online iLab system and will be billed in-full at the rates listed above for all full usage of reserved time. For all "no show" reservations or reservations with partial usage, 80% of the reserved time or actual utilized time, whichever is higher, will be billed; Cancellation of any reservation must occur at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled time to avoid being charged.
- There is a minimum charge of 0.5 hours for any Professional Assistance that is required or requested. There is no professional assistance charge for all internal users and a $15/hr professional assistance charge for all external users for all collaboration-based services. Collaboration needs to be recognized through coauthorship in publications.
- The minimum charge for instrumentation use is 0.5 hours, charges based on rates listed above.
- Continuous overnight usage rates for selected instrumentation (for academic users only) are: $400/day for Electron Microprobe, XPS; $350/day for SP8, SpinSR10 and Light Sheet 7; $350/day for XRD (Chi Phi Stage); $450/day for Ga FIB/SEM and $650/day for Xe PFIRB/SEM. Daytime and/or Evening/Weekend rates will apply for non-continuous overnight usage of less than 10 hours/user. Facility Assistance or consumables will be charged separately.
- All Industrial requests must be made through the SIF Director and at minimum a "Scope of Work" is required prior to starting any project.
- Educational usage for accredited courses will be charged 25% of the Academic rates listed above, Facility Assistance for class/lab is charged separately. Samples used for educational courses are required to be "Non-Research" related and must be provided to the SIF at least two days prior to the instrument reservation. Course usage must be scheduled within 3 weeks from the beginning of each semester.
- Internal rate for professional assistance is only applied to all LSU users; External rate is applied all users outside LSU.
- The final invoice will be based on the greater of the total charge on an hourly rate bases and the total charge on a rate per sample basis.