small animal Internal medicine
Our Small Animal Internal Medicine service is staffed by faculty members who are diplomates of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine and residents with extensive training in small animal internal medicine. Our faculty clinicians practice general internal medicine but also have expertise in sub-specialty areas such as gastroenterology, urology, endocrinology, and infectious disease.
Specialty services offered include ultrasonography, endoscopy, bronchoscopy, cystoscopy, electrodiagnostics, CT scan, nuclear medicine, and radioactive iodine therapy.
Diagnosis and management of diseases and injuries in all species including:
- Endocrinology, dealing with disorders of the endocrine system
Testing for PU/PD, Adrenal disease, thyroid disease, hyper/hypocalcemia, diabetes, and other endocrine diseases
Treatment of endocrine disease, including medication monitoring/dose optimization (thyroid, adrenal, and endocrine pancreatic disease) and FreeStyle Libre placement/interpretation
Treatment of difficult diabetes and Cushing’s patients.
I-131 treatment for hyperthyroid cats (starting after the holidays)
Consults on all endocrine patients
- Gastroenterology, concerned with digestive diseases and issues
- Hematology, dealing with blood
- Infectious disease, concerned with deases caused by biological agents such as viruses, bacteria or parasites
- Nephrology, dealing with the study and function of the kidneys
- Pulmonology, concerned with diseases of the lungs and respiratory tract
- Immunology, dealing with the diagnosis and therapy of immune mediated diseases
What to Expect
- You do not need a referral, but please call your veterinarian to send over any previous records and radiographs they have for your pet.
- Because we are a teaching hospital, you will be greeted by a student who will get a thorough history of your pet. The student will then have you return to the waiting room while your pet is taken into the hospital and evaluated by our veterinary team. Please do not leave during this assessment unless prior arrangements have been made. We will not be able to proceed with any treatment without your consent.
- Once the assessment is complete, our veterinarian and student will return to talk to you about their findings and recommendations.
Faculty and Staff
Interns and Residents
Laura Adams, DVM, Resident
Loni Albrecht, DVM, Resident
Mary Kate Bollman, DVM, Resident
Colleen Elzinga, DVM, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Rotating Intern
William Holl, DVM, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Rotating Intern
Jennifer Hu, DVM, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Rotating Intern
Robyn Jolly, DVM, Resident
Yi Kwan (Jocelyn) Lee, DVM, Resident
Angelica Mendoza, DVM, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Rotating Intern
Murphy Sachse, DVM (LSU 2022), Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Rotating Intern
Ansley Sackett, DVM, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Rotating Intern
Haley Straub, DVM, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Rotating Intern
Telea Wade-LaHart, DVM, Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Rotating Intern